The Bucket Confessions

I've hauled hundreds of buckets. Each bucket does get picked through for any stray material that doesn't belong and most contents will go through the grinder to reduce the size of the food waste. It's a lot of work but it creates a better product and a somewhat easier animal husbandry experience. I've become pretty desensitized to what gets tossed into the buckets. And with that I'll say: I don't care what's in your bucket.

Bucket processing station, complete with an old meat grinder rigged up to a motor by my grandfather decades ago

Some people feel compelled to tell me (warn me?) about the contents of their buckets. And as I have hours to think about this stuff, the conclusion I've drawn is that there are two main reasons why I get the bucket confession. 

Reason One: I think some of the compulsion to confess is a feeling of guilt about wasted food. But you know what, you've made a conscious effort to see that spoiled food go back into the earth rather than convert into methane gas and leachate at the landfill. You're doing good. Real good. And at the end of the year, I'll let you know what you've contributed to the bioconversion process. If that helps develop food saving habits, awesome. If it's just enough for you to know that it's not going to the landfill, that is also awesome. I'm glad to help. And I'm not judging your bucket. 

Reason Two: From some, there is a tone of pride in their bucket confession. There's a sense of awe in how much of their garbage can be diverted back to the earth. And it's nice to hear the excitement and eagerness in the voice of a bioconversion convert (A bio-convert? Is that double negative? Or a double positive? Or a double conversion? A metamorphosis?? I digress...) 

I don't judge people by the contents of their bucket. I promise. I have a friend who entrusted the bioconversion process for their then recently passed away pet bird. This person shall remain nameless, but I admire the dedication to divert organic matter from the landfill. It should be noted, however, that I do not condone dead animals in the bucket. Food wastes only, please :-)

I look forward to more bucket confessions. Thank you for helping me help you -- keep it up.

Comments